Orange Peels for Heart Health
"Our study has shown that PMFs have the most potent cholesterol-lowering effect of any other citrus flavonoid … We believe that PMFs have the potential to rival and even beat the cholesterol-lowering effect of some prescription drugs, without the risk of side effects."
Orange Peels May Have Anti-Cancer Activity
"Due to their broad range of pharmacological properties, citrus flavonoids have gained increased attention. Accumulative in vitro and in vivo studies indicate protective effects of polymethoxyflavones (PMFs) against the occurrence of cancer.
PMFs inhibit carcinogenesis by mechanisms like blocking the metastasis cascade, inhibition of cancer cell mobility in circulatory systems, proapoptosis, and antiangiogenesis.
… Taken all together, a considerable number of well-established lines of evidence have confirmed that flavonoids in citrus peel exhibit a remarkable spectrum of efficacious biological activities, particularly in antitumorigenesis.
Excellent permeability through membrane allows citrus flavonoids to possess great bioavailability, which consequently attracts researchers to perform scientific studies for effective disease prevention and treatment."
Orange Peels Offer Anti-Allergic and Anti-Inflammatory Benefits
- Improve digestion and speed metabolism, according to the principles of Ayurveda
- Improve oral health: chew orange peels as a natural breath freshener or rub the inside on your teeth to help with whitening and sensitivity
- Improve skin appearance: Rub orange peel extract combined with milk to help lighten dark spots on your skin or use it as a skin toner
- Support healthy weight loss: Orange peels are low in calories and high in fiber, making them a useful food if you're trying to lose weight.
Other Fruit Peels and Rinds Can Be Healthy Too
- Swiss chard stems are rich in the amino acid glutamine, which is beneficial for your immune system.
- Celery tops contain five times more magnesium and calcium than the stalks.
- Broccoli leaves provide about 90 percent of your daily vitamin A requirement, compared to 3 percent in the florets.
- Onion skins: The outer layers of the onion (including the papery skin) are thought to be the most nutritious, including concentrating the highest amounts of flavonoids.12 Try simmering onion skins in soups and stock then removing before serving.
Delicious Ways to Incorporate Citrus Peels into Your Diet
Moroccan-Style Preserved Lemons17
Cooks' note: Preserved lemons can be chilled, covered in their juices, up to one year.